Tribal Odisha Dhokra Decor Woman Lying and Reading a Book
Tribal Odisha Dhokra Decor Woman Lying and Reading a Book by the Tribal Artists of Odisha
- All the Products are on made to order basis only.
- 100% handmade by rural artisans and no two pieces will be exactly same.
- All pictures shown are for illustration purpose only, the actual product may vary a little as the products are handmade.
- Delivery in 10 -15 days.
Dhokra (also spelt Dokra) is non–ferrous metal casting using the lost-wax casting technique. This sort of metal casting has been used in India for over 4,000 years and is still used. One of the earliest known lost wax artefacts is the dancing girl of Mohenjo-daro. The product of dhokra artisans are in great demand in domestic and foreign markets because of primitive simplicity, enchanting folk motifs and forceful form. Dhokra horses, elephants, peacocks, owls, religious images, measuring bowls, and lamp caskets etc., are highly appreciated. The lost wax technique for casting of copper based alloys has also been found in China, Egypt, Malaysia, Nigeria, Central America, and other places.
The process- There are two main processes of lost wax casting: solid casting and hollow casting. While the former is predominant in the south of India the latter is more common in Central and Eastern India. Solid casting does not use a clay core but instead a solid piece of wax to create the mould; hollow casting is the more traditional method and uses the clay core.
Dhokra Craft is made by different communities in India like the Situlias, Ghantaras, Thataries, Ghasis, Bathudis and other professional Dhokra workers. Dhokra Damar tribes are the traditional metal-smiths of West Bengal. Their technique of lost-wax casting is named after their tribe, hence Dhokra metal casting.
The tribe extends from Jharkhand to West Bengal and Odisha; members are distant cousins of the Indian State of Chhattisgarh Dhokras.
- All purchases can only be returned if it is defective/damaged or is a wrong delivery within 7 days after you have received the last package of your order.
- Items must be unused, undamaged, and in original packaging, Include all price tags, labels, original packing and invoice and all the items in the package must be intact. If not, the buyer is responsible for all incurred fees and no refund will be issued.
- Items that do not meet these criteria will not be considered for return.